Cheap Gym Membership Options to Help You Keep Your Fitness Resolution
New Year’s resolutions can be extremely hard to stick to, but there are some things you can do to increase the chances that you’ll keep your fitness goals. To make sure you only break a sweat, not your budget, check out one of the memberships below that can make going to the gym more affordable.
Find Cheap Gym Memberships
You can find an affordable gym that suits your personal fitness goals or offers services like massages that will help motivate you to get to the gym in the first place. Take a look at these 10 cheap gym memberships to find the best plan for your fitness needs.
1. World Gym
A highlight of this fitness center is its three-day, try-before-you-buy trial membership, so there’s no risk if you decide the gym isn’t putting you on the path of success you hoped for.
Special offers and gym membership deals vary by location. The Lexington and Peach Tree City, Ga., World Gyms, for example, have short-term specials for students and a low start-up fee promotion of just $29. One of the gym’s Victorville, Calif., locations offers a no-contract World Gym Express deal that costs just $20 to start with $10 per month due after that.
- Massages, tanning services and nutritional counseling available at some locations
- Ability to bring up to two guests with you when you visit
- No refund after the three-day trial period
- Memberships are non-transferable
2. Planet Fitness
Planet Fitness is another popular health club with over 1,400 locations. The company prides itself on providing a Judgment Free Zone for individuals to come and workout in. The company’s classic gym membership prices are hard to beat at just $10 per month. For this price, you’ll get unlimited access to your home club for your daily workouts, free fitness training, complimentary Wi-Fi and a free T-shirt.
- No need to pay extra for a personal trainer
- Judgment-free environment
- Tanning, hydromassage and haircuts only available as included if you pay extra for the PF Black Card
- Must have PF Black Card to bring a guest with you
3. 24 Hour Fitness
24 Hour Fitness has over 400 gyms in 13 states across the country, from Hawaii to New York. The company also features one of the best gym apps — My24 App — that allows you find classes, join challenges and more. And the app syncs with other fitness apps, so you can easily track your activities.
New customers are encouraged to take advantage of the free three-day pass to explore all that the gym has to offer. After that, a gym membership costs $29.99 per month.
- Complimentary access to 24Life Magazine for nutrition and fitness tips
- Kids’ Club for parents who need children supervised
- Personal training is an additional fee
- No discount for adding family or friends
In addition to serving over 9 million youth, the YMCA also supports over 13 million adults each year in their fitness goals. Consider joining one of the 2,700 YMCAs, which offer everything from swimming pools to exercise classes to sports teams. Membership rates vary by location, so you’ll need to contact your local YMCA for exact figures.
The YMCA of Greater Fort Wayne, Ind., for example, charges $19 per student and $46.50 per adult monthly, but some locations charge higher fees. Some branches provide financial assistance, however, so this option can be among the best financial decisions you’ll make all year.
- YMCA requests 15-day notice to cancel
- Members get six guest passes annually
- Activities for younger and older children
- Not all branches have towel service
- Not all classes are covered by membership fee
5. LA Fitness
As of 2017, LA Fitness has over 600 locations throughout the U.S. and Canada. AAA members can take advantage of a waived initiation fee — normally $99 — and a low $29.99 monthly membership fee. The gym also offers a $24.99 monthly membership for people who don’t need access to any other locations.
Each facility features state-of-the-art equipment, a heated pool, basketball court, racquetball court and over 20 group classes. And if you sign up for a personal trainer, you’ll get a cheap fitness tracker app called Studio Zone, which can help you track your progress and meet your goals.
- On-site Kids Klub
- Complimentary fitness assessment
- Personal training carries an additional fee
- $24.99 option not available at all clubs
Smart Habits: 9 Ways Being Healthy Can Save You Money
6. Anytime Fitness
Each of the 3,000 Anytime Fitness locations is open 24/7 so you can follow through with your New Year’s resolutions at a time that works for you. Although membership prices vary by location, most branches offer new customers a seven-day free trial.
Monthly fees generally run around $38.99 once the free trial period has ended. And if you’re looking for a cheap personal trainer, Anytime Fitness provides three options: a personal fitness consultation, personal training or group training.
- New members get a free, personalized fitness plan upon signup
- 24-hour security, wellness programs and health plan discounts are also included
- Tanning services available
- No childcare option
- Must be a member for at least 30 days before visiting other branches for workouts
7. Youfit Health Clubs
Although it’s not a pay-as-you-go gym, Youfit Health Clubs come pretty close. Youfit allows you to get in shape with a standard $10 monthly membership. You’ll have unlimited access to the club where you sign up, as well as qualify for a free fitness assessment. When you’re ready to give the health club a try, visit one of the gym’s 100 other locations in any of 14 states across the U.S., from Arizona to Florida.
- Ability to upgrade for access to other locations, exercise classes and half-price drinks
- Free lockers and showers
- No group exercise classes with standard membership
- Only select locations have extras like tanning and saunas
8. Cardinal Fitness
As one of the most affordable gyms on the list, Cardinal Fitness offers memberships as low as $10 per month, which makes for unlimited cheap new workouts to try. Keep an eye out on Groupon, as it occasionally offers membership discounts of up to 86 percent. Members are welcome to upgrade to a premium membership for $19.95, which comes with a free personal training session, access to virtual training and the ability to bring one guest along at no extra cost.
- Can cancel the contract by providing a written notice 30 days prior
- Partners with Countless Nutrition, which offers free two-week trial to members
- Locations only in Illinois and Ohio
- Guests only allowed to use fitness equipment
Budget Tips: How Much That New Year’s Resolution Will Cost You
9. Crunch Fitness
Rapidly growing Crunch Fitness has 225 branches with contracts to open another 500. You’ll find the gym in 24 states and five countries.
Crunch Fitness is popular for its many membership options that allow you to join for as little as $9.95 per month. Basic membership includes using the workout equipment, a complimentary T-shirt, use of the locker rooms with showers, access to an online nutrition program, and power half-hour circuit training. No matter which membership option you select, you’ll also have to pay an annual fee each year.
- Option to add babysitting services, personal training or small group training
- Can sign up for a complimentary day pass to explore the fitness center before signing up
- Tanning, hydromassage, babysitting and group fitness classes available with highly priced memberships only
- Guest privileges only available at $29.95 monthly membership price point
10. Snap Fitness
With over 2,000 locations, chances are pretty good that you’ll find a Snap Fitness close by. Stop by the branch nearest you and sign up for a free seven-day trial. Check for any specials before selecting a membership.
Promotions and fees vary by location. For example, the Chaska, Minn., location offers a free training session, and membership fees for a single adult run around $34.95 a month. Allentown, N.J.’s current special is a free first month when you join. Single adults at this location are required to pay $39.95 per month.
- Partners with health insurance providers to get you discounts and reimbursements on your membership fees
- 24/7 access
- Allows transfer of memberships to another club
- No childcare options
- Not all locations offer fitness classes
Try these tips to help you achieve your New Year’s fitness resolution this year: Set a deadline for yourself to join a new gym. Download an exercise app and start working out at home or nearby park in the meantime to start building a routine. Consider seeking out a personal trainer or class instructor at the start. This type of added accountability might just be the motivation boost you need to make the cost of a gym membership totally worth it.